Apple pie is an American favorite when it comes to baked goods. One can almost imagine it sitting on the windowsill of grandma’s house, steaming, cooling down, awaiting hungry stomachs to fill with sweetness, chewy chunks of apple, and a crumbly and buttery crust. Today we will give you an easy recipe with a special twist – the apple pie we make will have herbal overtones, adding a whole new level of delight.
For the pastry
For the filling:
- 1.3kg of apples (cored, peeled, and sliced)
- 3 ¼ cups of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 ¼ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
MAKING THE CRUST
- Using a sieve, sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a bowl.
- Add the cold cannabis butter and vegetable shortening to the mix.
- Using your hands, mix everything together until you have a nice crumbly consistency.
- Next, you need to knead the dough. Add a small amount of water at a time as you do this. Continue gently until the mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Form a ball and split it in two. One-half has to be slightly bigger than the other. The bigger one is needed for the base of the pie and the smaller ones for the top. Keep the halves in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, then roll them out evenly and put them back in the refrigerator.
MAKING THE FILLING
- Combine the apple slices and the fresh lemon juice in a large bowl and mix them together well.
- Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg to the mix, making sure that all the apples are coated.
PREPARING AND BAKING THE PIE
- Put the crust base in a pie dish and press it firmly on the bottom of and sides of the pan. Leave roughly 3cm of dough hanging over the edge of the pan.
- Scoop the apple filling into it. If you have some cannabis butter left, you can disperse it on the apple filling evenly to make your pie even more potent.
- Put the top crust on it, leaving 3cm of it hanging, and seal the base and top together – crimping with a fork works well.
- You can poke a few holes in the top or cut an “X” to allow the steam to escape.
- Now whisk an egg and generously brush it over the top of the pie to give it a nice glazed finish.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C and bake the pie for 1 hour, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool down for a while.
It takes a bit of prep work, but this succulent and tasty pie is well worth the effort! It will have you pleasantly buzzing the evening away after a nice filling dinner. Remember, cannabis-infused food can take up to 2 hours to kick in! Enjoy!