You’ll need to learn how to decarb kief before cooking edibles with it. Decarbing kief is easy to do in your oven. Kief, which is made from the psychoactive trichomes of marijuana buds and leaves, can be extracted using dry ice, bubble hash, or just passing ground up weed back and forth over a screen.
Raw kief isn’t psychoactive on its own. Decarboxylation is a chemical reaction where the cannabinoid THC-acid (THCA) is converted into THC, which can then be processed by your body for psychoactive effects when you ingest it. You need to decarb kief before cooking with it or your edibles will not be potent. We can show you how to decarb kief in 3 easy steps:
How to decarb kief
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees farenheit.
- Place kief on a piece of parchment paper on an oven safe glass pan. Break up any large chunks into small pieces with your fingers. Spread it out into a thin layer.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes. Once you decarb kief it will darken a bit in color and begin to have a rich, nutty smell. Avoid overcooking or THC will begin to degrade into CBN, causing a sleepy high in your edibles. Cook for 25 minutes to decarb thin layers of kief; a thicker layer would require a few more minutes.
Can you decarb kief at other temperatures and cook times?
Decarbing kief can be done at other temperatures, but be sure not to overdo it. Some recipes recommend cooking at 300 but you risk over decarbing which breaks down the THC into CBN, which makes you sleepy. If you’re looking to make edibles or tinctures for nighttime use then this would be the way to do it.
You can also decarb kief at lower temperatures for longer periods of time. You could do 220 for 45-50 minutes, but watch closely for over-browning. We’ve found that 250 gives a nice balance of relatively short timeframe without risking overdoing it which can happen quickly at higher temps. Use your observation skills and keep an eye on it if you feel you must decarb kief at higher temperatures.
You have learned how to decarb kief – what next?
Now that you know how to decarb kief, you’re ready to make your edibles with it. Adding it to a fat-based substance such as butter or oil is beneficial since THC is fat-soluble. You can also use it to produce a delightful kief tincture using alcohol with the green dragon or the freezer tincture methods.
- Master Wu’s Green Dragon Tincture recipe (can be consumed right away)
- Cold extract cannabis tincture in the freezer (takes a few months to brew)
- Quick extract method (not recommended)