A sip of herbal tea or a dropper-full of tincture can be the catalyst for a lifelong pursuit of herbalism. Many of us begin our studies making these simple and effective preparations, yet basic concepts sometimes become complicated when trying to decipher Latin binomial nomenclature, formulations, physiological actions, and historical research. The most common mix-ups arise from misused terminology, and one term that tends to be applied to a variety of preparations is a tincture.
In the cannabis world, this means it’s an herbal extract that has some of the useful properties of weed. Cannabis tinctures are usually made from alcohol but they can also be made with glycerin to skip the intoxicating effects of the – usually high-proof – alcohol.
THE TINCTURE RECIPE FOR THE MAGICAL BUTTER MACHINE
- ¼-1 ounce (7-28g) botanicals per cup/240 ml, decarbonized
- 2-5 cups (475-1180ml) Everclear grain alcohol, 151 or 190 proof (or vegetable glycerine)
IMPORTANT CAUTION: MATERIALS ARE HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. Could cause injury. Never use an open flame, natural gas, or propane burner, or permit smoking around the cooking process.
Minimum capacity 2 cups (equivalent to 475 ml).
Maximum capacity 5 cups (equivalent to 1180 ml).
• Place the ingredients into your Magical Butter machine and secure the head.
• Press the Temperature button and select No Heat (if your model’s lowest option is 160°F/71°C, use that setting).
• Press the 4 Hours/Tincture or 8 Hours button (eight-hour tincture will have a stronger flavor and deeper intensity).
• After the cycle is complete, unplug the unit at the outlet and remove the head of the appliance.
• Put on your Love Glove cooking glove and pour the pitcher contents slowly through your Purify Filter Bag into a dark glass container.
Note: Vegetable glycerine tinctures are about 1/3 as potent as an alcohol tincture for the same amount of botanicals.