Sweet Smokey rich taste to these Caramels
- Bake three pieces of bacon in the oven, baste with infused honey. Save two tbs of bacon fat.
- Make sure your candy thermometer is calibrated This is important because the first batch didn’t set because my candy wasn’t calibrated (see tips for how to calibrate your candy thermometer)
- Butter 8×8 parchment-lined dish (yes butter the dish as well as the parchment paper)
- Heat heavy cream and vanilla tincture (I soak vanilla beans in tincture, every month or so I add another bean to the bottle) until it begins to simmer.
- In a separate saucepan, mix canna sugar, infused honey, and water in a medium
- Stir until sugars are dissolved. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon and the mixture begins to boil.
- Clip a candy thermometer on a saucepan and bring to a temperature of 285F
- Add bacon fat, canna salt, and simmering cream mixture. Be careful when adding these ingredients as the mixture will be hot and will rise when you add these ingredients. The temperature will also drop.
- Continue stirring until reaches 248F.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with canna salt.
- Cool, DO NOT refrigerate. This could take up to 5 hours depending on the climate to live in.
- Cut and wrap individually in wax paper. Candy will last for approx a month wrapped.
ProTips: You can add crumbled pieces of the bacon but Hubby ate the bacon before I could add to the caramels.
It’s important to calibrate your candy thermometer. To calibrate your thermometer using a boiling water method: Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Make sure the thermometer is submerged at least 2” and wait 30 seconds. Your thermometer should read 212F. If it doesn’t, note how many degrees off the thermometer is reading. Adjust accordingly.