Cannabis-infused drinks might cost a pretty penny at the dispensary, but this guide will let you save tons by going the DIY route.
With more states where marijuana is legal starting to accept “green businesses” in their borders, it’s not surprising that the United States is seeing a major uptick in cannabis products.
The amount of things that are cannabis-related and available for purchase is shocking. We are seeing high-end cannabis accessories storming the market, cool new edible brands hitting store shelves, and even brands offering medical marijuana for dogs!
Cannabis-infused drinks are now gaining steam. They allow rapid absorption into your body, taste good, and are great cannabis alternatives for people who can’t smoke. They cost a pretty penny to buy, but if you make them yourself, it’s not that bad.
Curious about how you can DIY it? We’re here to help. This guide will show you how to save cash and get the high you want, with homemade cannabis drinks.
If you are a fan of A Clockwork Orange, you probably remember Korova Plus—milk laced with a healthy dose of drugs. Well, cannabis-infused milk is a thing, and unlike what Alex and the droogs were guzzling, this won’t make you feel up for some ultra-violence.
Cannabis-infused milk is great for coffee, tea, milkshakes, and any milk-related goodie you want to make. You will need around 1 gram of raw bud per quart of milk for this technique. Here’s how to do it.
- Bring a very large pot of water to a boil. It should be a rolling boil.
- Place a steel bowl inside the pot with boiling water in it. This creates a double boiler. Once you have the bowl in the boiling water, pour the milk and cannabis in the bowl.
- Make sure the milk boils. Keep an eye on it. It’ll take around 15 minutes or so.
- Lower the temperature, and leave the milk mixture to simmer for two to three hours. Stir the mixture up occasionally so that curdling is prevented.
- Drop the temperature, and strain the liquid using a cheesecloth. Ta da! Your own Korova Plus.
What could more awesome than cannabis-infused drinks? Why, cannabis-and-booze infused drinks, of course. I will share my favorite type of adult milkshake now because you’re awesome.
- Blend the ice cream, bourbon, sugar, and cannabis milk together. I mean, what do you expect? It’s a milkshake!
- Spoon into glasses, and top with chocolate and peanut butter syrups. Because no dessert would be complete without a topping, right?
Well, you’re in luck if you’re a tea drinker. Cannabis tea has been used in ancient medicine for millennia—and still remains pretty popular if you’re looking for health benefits.
Most of the time, you can grab a box of cannabis-infused tea at a local dispensary.
If not, no problem.
You can just brew an herbal tea from pot leaves using them in a tea bag or a strainer. Just pour boiling water over the ground up bud, let it sit for a while, and enjoy.
Another option, if you want to have a pop of flavor that isn’t grassy, is to brew a cup of your favorite tea and then add cannabis milk to it. There are so many ways to make cannabis drinks involving tea, you might as well let your imagination run wild.
A favorite option if you’re a fan of mixing your herbal goods is to blend your cannabis with a little bit of kava. Kava is a legal high that is totally herbal and is known for producing mellowness. You can get it online or from a health food store.
Now, there are two ways to enjoy this blend. You can either add cannabis milk to a cup of blended tea, or you can blend cannabis bud into the teabag. Either way, you are going to be super-relaxed after you sip.
Though coconut oil is usually associated with cooking, it’s a key ingredient in plenty of drinks—especially if you’re looking to make marijuana-infused drinks without involving milk in the process.
Cannabis-infused oil is pretty easy to make. To start, you’ll need…
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup ground up weed
- Grab a large pot and bring water to a boil. This will be half of the double boiler.
- Put the cannabis in a steel bowl. Add the coconut oil to the steel bowl.
- Place the bowl in the pot of boiling water. Ta da! You made a double boiler. Like with the cannabis milk, this keeps the oil from frying, popping, and getting overheated.
- Lower the temperature to a low simmer, and keep simmering for six hours. Stir occasionally.
- Strain the mix with a cheese cloth. Ta da! Cannabis oil for people who are in love with the coco.
Infused Tropical Cocktails
Marijuana-infused drinks are great, right? If you’re craving a cannabis drink with a tropical twist, we got a good one for you! This is a green twist on a Pina Colada.
- Put ingredients in a blender, and blend. It’s that simple.
- Pour mixture into a single 16-ounce cup. Ideally, you’ll use a tiki glass.
Simple Canna Syrup
Infused cocktails are all the rage online, but let’s be real, it’s not always easy to find a place that will sell you a marijuana mixer! However, that hasn’t stopped medical marijuana patients and serious mixologists from finding a way to add them in.
Simple syrup is a bartender’s best friend. It’s that sugary syrup that makes everything taste better. Cannabis-infused simple syrup is a must-have, simply because it turns any drink into a cannabis cocktail in a pinch.
- In a medium-sized pot, mix the water and sugar together. Stir gently.
- Boil the water until the sugar dissolves, and keep it boiling for a little bit longer. You want to make sure that the cannabis will undergo total decarboxylation. The boil should be gentle.
- Add the vegetable glycerin. Lower the heat to a mild simmer.
- Simmer for six minutes, stirring gently. You’ll love the smell at this point.
- Strain the liquid through a cheesecloth and store it. Yum.
You can use this too many any cannabis-infused cocktails that use simple syrup.
Cannabis Protein Shake
Cannabis-infused drinks are now being used by health aficionados who want to get sick gains at the gym. Here’s how to make a delicious cannabis protein shake that kills it as a post-workout goodie with an extra punch of green goodness.
- Prepare protein powder as directed on the box. If you want something creamier, opt for coconut milk.
- Put prepared ingredients in a blender, then add the rest of the ingredients. You know where this is going.
- Blend and serve.
Love vodka? Are you fueled by vodka? Cannabis-infused vodka is now a thing! Making a cannabis-infused drink with the stuff is about as easy as it gets, and the best part is that you get to enjoy the flavor. Here’s how to do it:
Finally, you can also make cannabis-infused water.
All these cannabis drinks seem so insane, right? Well, if you have a cannabis tincture and a large jug of water, then you will be able to make one of the most refreshing cannabis-infused drinks out there.
Just add a little THC to your water, and you’re good to go.
- First, decarboxylate your weed. This is a fancy way of saying heating it. You can do this by breaking apart the weed, spreading it on a thin sheet in the oven, and cooking it for 30 to 40 minutes at 220 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Now, grab a double boiler set up. You will want to grab a large pot, fill it with water, and bring that water to a boil. Please do not do this on a gas stove—electric only!
- Grab a second pot and pour the vodka and cannabis in it. Place the second pot in the first one.
- Keep the heat up and cover the second pot, but make sure that the temperature doesn’t exceed 170 degrees. You wouldn’t want your vodka to evaporate, right?
- Heat for three hours, stirring occasionally, then strain.