Master Wu’s green dragon tincture recipe is an internet classic and we have recorded the basic green dragon recipe below.
Any green dragon tincture made using heat provides a quick extract time, so you’ll be able to consume this cannabis tincture as soon as it cools.
A note about decarboxylation in green dragon tincture
In this recipe, we’ve made a slight modification to the temperature and heating time in the decarboxylation step compared to Master Wu’s original green dragon recipe. The original Master Wu recipe called for a 5-minute decarb at 325 F degrees. We’ve opted for a lower temperature at a longer time which we’ve found is a safer bet when decarbing cannabis for edibles. Decarb times vary based on what type of cannabis you’re using.
The green dragon tincture recipe steps below are for cannabis flower, so you’ll learn how to decarb ground buds. If you’re making your tincture with other forms of cannabis, such as BHO tincture, you can first decarb the concentrate and then use it in the Master Wu recipe in place of the ground weed flower. Learn more about how to decarboxylate other forms of cannabis here:
- How to decarb kief or dry ice hash
- How to decarb shatter, dabs, BHO, hash oil
- How to decarb bubble hash
- How to decarb scissor hash
Decarbing the marijuana flower or concentrate is a necessary step when making cannabis edibles. It occurs when you gently heating the weed which transforms THCA into THC, which is the main psychoactive cannabinoid that produces the green dragon’s high. NEVER SKIP THE DECARB STEP! Your cannabis tincture won’t be as potent if you do.
How to Make Master Wu’s green dragon tincture recipe
- Grind: Grind up 4 grams of high-quality marijuana buds (flower) into a fine powder.
- Decarb: Place ground weed on a sheet of aluminum foil in a thin layer (fold the corners up to prevent spillage) and cook in 250 F degree oven for 30 minutes
- Combine: Place decarbed weed in a 1-pint pyrex container (or a heatproof glass jar) and mix with 2 ounces Everclear or 190 proof grain alcohol (substitute Bacardi 151 for a lower-quality final product; vodka can also be used)
- Heat water: Boil 2-3 inches of water in a small cooking pot (make sure water level is much lower than the top of pyrex cup with weed in it). Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar to the water to reduce mineral deposits on the pan.
- Double boiler: Place pyrex container in the middle of the pan of water. Use a candy thermometer to measure temperature, you want to boil this at 170 F degrees for 20 minutes. The volume of alcohol will decrease as it evaporates. Scrape sides down as alcohol evaporates so ensure plant material and residue on glass stays in contact with the boiling alcohol.
- Strain: Remove from heat and cool. Press cannabis tightly to release as much tincture as you can (a garlic press works great).
- (Recommended) Repeat the double boiler step above using the same weed and 1 oz of fresh Everclear for another 10 minutes at 170 F degrees to ensure a more complete extract.
- Filter: Filter tincture in a coffee filter. Pre-moisten filter with plain Everclear to prevent your tincture from getting absorbed aka wasted.
- Drink!: Can be consumed right away. Store in a cool, dark place away from children or pets.
- Master Wu’s Green Dragon Tincture recipe (can be consumed right away)
- Cold extract cannabis tincture in the freezer (takes a few months to brew)
- Quick extract method (not recommended)