Learn how to make buttercream frosting with this easy tutorial. This is the BEST recipe for homemade buttercream, it pipes perfectly, and makes a great base for other frosting flavors too
How To Make Buttercream Frosting
I hate, loathe, and despise store-bought frosting. I understand that it is super convenient, but I think it ruins what could otherwise be a delicious dessert.
- 1½ cups butter, room temperature (or 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, 1/4 cup cannabutter
- 1 cup shortening, room temperature
- 7 cups icing sugar (or 1 cup canna powdered sugar, 7 cups powered )
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or other flavoring extracts. Start with 1 tsp if using lemon or other strong extract and then taste)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large mixing bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on low speed at first, then increase to medium speed and continue mixing for 1 to 2 minutes or until fully combined.
- Add the heavy cream (start with 2 tablespoons and add a little more if needed), vanilla extract, and salt and continue mixing on medium speed until everything is well combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Use the frosting to pipe onto cupcakes or frost a cake or cover tightly and refrigerate until you are ready to use it.